Updates to the Assessment Support Material

• Robert Young
    Participant

Morning All
    Just to let people know that the Assessment Support Material for N4 and N5 Computing Science has been updated on the SQA Secure site. It appears to be minor changes such as good comments being accepted for outcome 1 in SDD. The report for N4 in SDD still appears to be there so unless there is still changes to come out we are stuck with it for another day. Only other thing I have noticed is that the link to the N5 ISDD unit actually loads up the N4 ISDD unit so hopefully that will get fixed.

Stephen Stewart
    Participant

It is worth pointing out that National 5 SDD Outcome 1.4 seems to have changed.

In version 1.1 it wanted, “Description of how computer processes programs”.

Now in version 1.2 it wants, “Candidate describes how a computer processes programs using the fetch-execute cycle with reference to program instructions and variables.”

So I am guessing the old questions on vector and bitmap graphics and matching the words from the word bank to the correct description of the processor, memory, buses and interfaces are no longer sufficient?

Peter Thoresen
    Participant

Although the Making assessment judgements” has changed, the Outcomes and Assessment Standards are unchanged.

As such the previous versions of the Unit Assessment Support Packs, for both units, and existing prior-verified materials (which are still on the SQA website) should still be valid as they still meet the minimum standards from the unchanged compulsory requirements.

If this is not the case then:
    – existing prior-verifeid materials need to be resubmitted
    – pupils that completed assessments as part of their “prior-learning opportunities” in S3, or at the start of S4, will have to re-do the work

At some point we should receive formal notification that the unit assessment packs have been updated. Hopefully (if anyone with contacts in SQA is reading this) this notification will clarify the position of older assessment packs and prior-verified tasks.

Brian Avarl
    Participant

I have just completed this unit with my S4 – and have used the previous assessment – Can I assume that it is still valid?

In light of the changes to the outcome 1 assessment.

Peter Thoresen
    Participant

I’ve had confirmation from SQA that the earlier versions of UASP’s and existing prior-verified materials assessments are still valid for the next academic year.

From SQA Update Letter June 2014:
    “In line with our standard practice, all documents and Unit assessment support packs contain version information. While we would encourage
    teachers and lecturers to use the most up-to-date versions when planning their assessments, they are free to use the existing versions and both will be accepted for verification purposes.”

Brian Avarl
    Participant

That is good to know – the idea of having to reassess the whole unit was giving me nightmares!

Brian Avarl
    Participant

I have just been on the SQA Secure site and noticed that the previous Unit Assessments (version 1.1) for both units are no longer there – I am concerned because my S4 pupils have completed the SDD Unit assessments using verion 1.1 and am unclear as to where that leaves the validity or otherwise of these completed assessments. Are they still valid and will the SQA be sending out clear inform us as to the validity or otherwise of their previous assessments.

Does anyone out there know anything concrete about this – if so please let me know.

Peter Thoresen
    Participant

See my previous answer.

Brian Avarl
    Participant

Thanks

It would be helpful if the SQA were to put this out to schools themselves. Save a lot of panic.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.