Graphic data type in N4 SDD

• Richard Scott
    Participant

Hello,

While we eagerly await the N4 update, in the meantime we have to deliver the old N4 course…

Is anyone else using Python to deliver N4 coding?

If so are you including the following requirement from the course spec?…

Data types and structures

-String variables
    -numeric (integer) variables
    -graphical objects

If so, how is the requirement for ‘graphical objects’ incorporated into the course? This is not something I teach at N5 level and am wary of introducing tkinter (or alternative) at N4 level.

TIA

tracy_m
    Participant

I would show them another language that you can incorporate graphics into but not get them to do it.

Also, not sure the N4 arrangements will be updated now due to the coming changes with SQA, we really need them aligned but not sure this will happen soon.

tracy_m
    Participant

I would show them another language that you can incorporate graphics into but not get them to do it.

Also, not sure the N4 arrangements will be updated now due to the coming changes with SQA, we really need them aligned but not sure this will happen soon.

Richard Scott
    Participant

FWIW The closest I have got to this is using images in some simple games the kids are exposed to early on in their coding using the following two methods…

Addshape method of a window object in turtle eg.
    wn.addshape('image3.gif')

image or actor functions in pygame zero eg.
    char.image = "char1dead"

I am reluctant to introduce another coding language as from S1 they have been using Python.

Peter Thoresen
    Participant

This “graphics” requirement only appears in the course support notes, as part of the comparison between N4 and N5 (page 14) and in the context of graphical environments such as Scratch (page 29). However text based environments are also accepted on the same page.

Page 29 also includes the LO from the SDD unit specification:
    “Selecting and using appropriate simple data types, such as numeric (integer) and string”

The assessments standards in the NABS also make no reference to graphic data types.

I think the inclusion in the comparison table is either a mistake or a suggestion – not a requirement.

Richard Scott
    Participant

Thanks Peter,

I had forgotten that the support notes do not form a mandatory part of the N4 course as they do since they were ‘moved’ at N5 level. It is confusing when they are listed in the comparison grid for N4/N5 – which is what tripped me up.

That’s helpful that I can just ignore it!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.