Seeking pilot schools

• cunniman
    Participant

Hi Jeremy,

We’d love to be involved at Forrester HS. Probably something I would do with next year’s S3 (CfE) after summer.

Mark

edsinc
    Participant

I would be very interested in trying this out with my third year in Stromness Academy, Orkney.

Eddie

Anonymous
    Inactive

I would also be interested in trying this out with our third-year at Brae High School, Shetland.

Martin

ianking
    Participant

I’m keen to try App Inventor out, and am wondering about starting the process of getting a package built for our network. It takes us months  to get anything installed here so setting things in motion at an early stage is paramount, however if the software changes after the switch to MIT, then we will need to start the packge building negotiation again. Has anyone any information on whether the changes will mean a re-install, or are they just a switch of provider.

ianking
    Participant

I’m keen to try App Inventor out, and am wondering about starting the process of getting a package built for our network. It takes us months  to get anything installed here so setting things in motion at an early stage is paramount, however if the software changes after the switch to MIT, then we will need to start the packge building negotiation again. Has anyone any information on whether the changes will mean a re-install, or are they just a switch of provider.

cook
    Participant

Would be very interested in trialling these materials at Breadalbane Academy

Lorraine Muir
    Participant

Would love to be involved. We had Beemer looking at App Inventor for Cfe going into S3.

Lorraine Muir
    Cathkin High School

Lorraine Muir
    Participant

Would love to be involved. We had Beemer looking at App Inventor for Cfe going into S3.

Lorraine Muir
    Cathkin High School

DCullen
    Participant

I would be very interested in trying this out in Oban High School.

David Cullen.

Jeremy Scott
    Participant

Dear Colleague,

Happy New Year – I hope you had a pleasant Christmas holiday.

Thanks to all those who registered interest in trialling the forthcoming Royal Society of Edinburgh/British Computer Society materials in Mobile App Development. The materials will be ready towards the end of this month.

As you may know, App Inventor is currently moving from Google to MIT (the home of Scratch). Trialling schools will be given access to an experimental build of App Inventor; however, in the transition,  this build has lost compatibility with Internet Explorer! As a web-based app, we’re hoping that MIT will fix this issue sooner rather than later.

For that reason, trialling schools will have to use another browser, namely Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox. Consequently, could you let me know by email (jscott@royalsoced.org.uk) if you’re still able to run the trial i.e. you [can] have Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox installed on your machines?

Schools will also be lent Android handsets for the purposes of the trial. We can only support three schools in this way; however, if you wish to trial using your own handsets, then let me know by email and I’ll get the materials to you. Alternatively, you could also use the Android emulator that’s part of App Inventor, but note that it doesn’t support features such as text messaging or accelerometer motion detection, which some of the materials make use of.

Finally, please don’t be offended if you’re not selected for this round of trialling. We got many more offers than we could have hoped for and will certainly keep you in mind for the next round.

Regards,

Jeremy

Lorraine Muir
    Participant

Hi Jeremy

I will find out next week about the possibility of having Chrome or Firefox installed on a trial lab. We are under a managed service so don’t know for sure.

Thanks

Lorraine

Jeremy Scott
    Participant

The email below has gone out to schools that submitted an email request to be part of the pilot group for the mobile app development. If you haven’t heard by now, I’m afraid you’ve not been selected.

Let me stress that we really appreciate the number of responses we received and are sorry that we had to disappoint anyone. However, I’ll let everyone know (via CompEdNet) as soon as the materials are published – hopefully later this session.

In the meantime, as you’ll see below, we will be looking for more schools to trial our other resources, so please keep checking the C & IS Exemplification group.

Regards,

Jeremy

— Email follows—

“Dear Colleague,

I’m sorry to tell you that you haven’t been selected as part of the pilot for the forthcoming mobile app development resource from the Royal Society of Edinburgh & British Computer Society.  As I mentioned in my earlier email, we received many more offers than we could have hoped for.

However, mobile app development is only one of three resources we’re producing this year, with two further resources below:

Introduction to Computing Science
    This will provide an introduction to the basic concepts in Computing Science and give students a grounding in programming.

Intermediate Computing Science
    This resource will explore further Computing Science concepts, with a focus on abstraction, modularity and hierarchy within programming.

We will therefore be seeking schools to pilot resources 1 and 2 and will certainly keep you in mind for this.

Best wishes,

Jeremy”

Jeremy Scott
    Participant

Further to my previous post, we are now seeking schools to pilot two further resources below:

Introduction to Computing Science – available from late April
    This will provide an introduction to the basic concepts in Computing Science and give students a grounding in programming/computational thinking over 6 core lessons, plus an optional project. It’s based around Scratch and is suited to students have have not previous programming experience (so most likely will be best for S1 pupils).

Intermediate Computing Science – available from late May
    This resource will explore further Computing Science concepts, with a focus on further aspects of computational thinking such as abstraction, modularity and hierarchy within programming (introducing procedures and parameters). This will be based around BYOB (a variant of Scratch created at UC Berkeley) and last around 6 core lessons, plus an optional project. It would be suitable for students who have previously worked in Scratch (possibly S2/3).

It’s likely that we’ll trial each resource in three schools, making six trialling “slots” in total. If you’d like to be considered for the trial, could you email me directly at jscott@royalsoced.org.uk.

Thanks,

Jeremy

egibson
    Participant

We would like to be part of this

Enza

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.